Criminal Law
Divorce / Family
General Practice

This law office is a full service firm that can handle the majority of your legal needs including matters in Criminal, Housing, Family, Supreme, Traffic, Civil, and small claims matters.  Darren M. Shapiro, Esq. has a wide variety of experience in each of these areas of law.  Whether you have a civil litigation, foreclosure, criminal defense, matrimonial, support, custody, visitation, family offense/order of protection or other legal situation this office can help.  Mr. Shapiro personally represents all the firm's clients.  Great care is taken to help ensure the best results for your personal circumstances.

Landlord/Tenant -

Landlords - if your tenant does not pay the rent, stays in the premises past their tenancy, creates a nuisance, is in default of their obligations as a tenant or someone just does not belong in your property, you need to take specific actions to properly enforce your rights.  Self help to remove a tenant is illegal.  A non - payment or holdover proceeding may be appropriate to get your money and your property back.  Proper notices must be given and procedures need to be followed to have a court award you the help that you deserve.  Call to discuss how we can correct this undesirable situation with your residential or commercial tenant.

Tenants - your lawyer can demand that the various rights under the law designed to protect you be respected and enforced.  You have the right to quiet enjoyment of your premises during your tenancy.  The landlord may be obligated to do certain repairs and provide essential services.  A reduction / abatement of rent or witholding rent could be appropriate.  If you are served with a rent demand, notice to vacate, non - payment or holdover petition, your lawyer might be able to get the case dismissed, obtain time for you to pay, or secure time for you to find a new place to live or work before you leave your current location.  The landlord might not have a case and you may be entitled to stay in your home or place of business.  Call to find out about an appropriate course of action.   

Foreclosure - If you are served with a summons and complaint in a mortgage foreclosure proceeding, it is important to make a timely response to the complaint.  It might be appropriate to interpose an answer, submit a notice of appearance, or perhaps initiate motion practice.  Your time to answer varies depending on the method of service of the legal papers.  You may have defenses to the foreclosure proceedings.  An experienced attorney can help ensure that your rights are protected.  At the very least your attorney can take steps to help keep you apprised of the status of the action as it proceeds.  You may be able to reinstate your mortgage.  An attorney might be able to assist you in negotiations with the bank and applications to the court for a short sale or for an extension of time.  Perhaps a referral to a bankruptcy attorney is appropriate for your circumstances. 

Darren M. Shapiro, Esq. received his Bachelor of Arts from Emory University and Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law.  He was admitted to the New York State Bar in January 1999.  Mr. Shapiro was admitted to federal practice for the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York in 2000. 

Reasonable fees are available for Long Island ( Nassau and Suffolk ), Queens, New York City and the surrounding areas.   The initial phone consultation is free.  Leave a message for a prompt return call.   

                      LAW OFFICE OF DARREN M. SHAPIRO 

        99 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 300-K Jericho, New York 11753                              (516) 333-6555  

Credit cards are accepted.

Please be advised that a signed agreement is required by this law office to create an attorney / client relationship.  This website is intended to be used for informational or advertising purposes and designed for compliance with New York State law for law firms / attorney / lawyer regulation.